Wednesday, December 12, 2007

THE LITTLE PICASSO

When I was in 4th grade, I met this guy who was really cool. He was very popular in the school among the students and teachers, for he had a very especial drawing skill and also for he held the Guinness record for school detentions, basically because he used to spend most of his time exercising his skill, even in class… in fact, especially during the classes time.

It was not that the teachers did not recognize his talent. On the contrary, he was used to being praised for his deeds by them all of the time. It was rather the school system that did not how to handle with this potential maestro because it didn´t consider him as such in the first place.

That was the early 80´s, though I don´t think the situation would be any different if this young Picasso attended 4th grade today. Basically because despite the major paradigm shift in our understanding of intelligence, owed in part to Harvard professor Howard Gardner´s work and others, the traditional notion of intelligence (understood merely in terms of Logical-Mathematical, Verbal-linguistic or even Spatial reasoning) is still widely upheld.

Some days ago, I happened to meet my school friend again. After greeting him, I asked him what he was doing for a living and he told me he was working as a bartender. I asked him about his interests as a kid (meaning his extraordinary gift) and he said something like: “Arrrgh! Childish stuff!”. In that moment I realized that the problem did not have to do much with the means (this or that concept of intelligence) but rather with the ends: the lack of an appropriate answer to the fundamental question of “what we educate for?" That question where the less fortunate answer is “to teach people how to survive…” because that would be very sad.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice posting

 
At 4:36 AM, Blogger cosmicdust said...

most of the time, education kills our talents...kind of a sad reality, isn't it?

 
At 4:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How sad... To kill talent is a crime. It just goes to show that the education system needs worked on. It also shows that people have a need to be taught how to encourage others to succeed. If there had been people encouraging your friend to follow his dreams and talent, then maybe he wouldn't be where he is pouring drinks.

I remember when my step-daughter was little. She is a very beautiful girl. She wanted to be a model. I tried to encourage her in that. However her real mother, and her grandmother and grandfather kept telling her that was a childish dream.

I always wonder how different her life might have been, had they not squashed her dream, by telling her how childish it was.

Like I said already, "SAD".

Very sad.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Dear Friend,I wish you Sweet ,Sweet New 2008 yea!Love and peace with You all your life!See you and Regards Silvana

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger ZHP said...

Bonky: Thank you very much for your comment!! Have a great new year!!

Cine: Hey my friend! You are right: that is super sad! Education as such must improve a lot to meet what it is its most rational and genuine goal: human self-development according to oneself´s interests, talents an so forth. Cheers!

Static: Thank you very much for your comment! I think you made a great point: we need to learn how to encourage ourselves and others to pursue our dreams. That is a key point!

As for your step-daughter: is it late yet?

Crescenet: Thank you very much for your words! I will visit your site at once! Hugs to you!

Aaidjs: Hey my friend! Wish you the best too!! I really appreciate your comment! Bye bye... Cheers!

Happy NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!!! :)

 
At 6:21 AM, Anonymous yeşil said...

Hi,
Do you publish content on your site, but very nice.
seo uzmanı, at yarışı tahminleri, kpss uzmanı, google uzmanı. Thanks valuable admin!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home