Tuesday, November 13, 2007

MAZATLAN: CONGRESS BALANCE

I just got back home from Mazatlán where, I have to say it, I attended a great Congress of Philosophy. Academic gatherings of this sort, where literally hundred of presentations, symposia and round tables take place, always represent a great challenge, especially as far as logistics is concerned. I think the Organizing Committee did a very good job and they should be proud about it.

As for the contents, I have to confess that I missed a more active presence of political philosophy, especially that one whose topics and reflections have to do with the nation´s most urgent issues, intimate related to the current world crisis: Globalization, its effects and consequences; Democracy and its degradation; Poverty! Just to name a few examples. Really, I did not understand those absences.

I think that Philosophy as such, at least through its best forms, modes and ways, has got a great potential not just before the current crisis but also for the public life and its dimensions and for personal formation at large. Undoubtedly, this is something that still remains pending but I see some lights on the horizon.

Finally, as soon as I got home, I called my mother up. She asked me if I had got a good trip and all and I started telling her what I have just written. I could not really finish the first sentence when my mother interrupted me and said: “I mean, personally”. Ahh! You mean… hehehe… Let´s say your son is still the luckiest single guy in town!, I said to her. I guess she did not like the answer…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home