Tuesday, March 27, 2007

GABO, THE BEST

Yesterday, during his speech, in the 4th Congress of the Spanish language opening session, Colombian writer Gabriel García Márquez gave an interesting account of the great vicissitudes he faced while he was in the process of writing his master piece “One Hundred Years of Solitude”. I say “interesting” basically because it does reveal, beyond his eminent mastery of language, an extraordinary example of keeping persistency while pursuing his beliefs. Something that I would call, rephrasing a famous quote: the audacity of belief. Everybody knows that after being awarded the Nobel Prize in 1982, Gabo has kept writing more than ever.

I have got the opportunity to meet him personally many times over the years. I have to say that they have always been difficult “encounters” where it seems to be that I have always ended up saying something awkward. I wonder why? (Hehehehe!).

The First time that I met him, I was working as a bookseller at a renowned bookshop at the age of 17. That was like 5 or 6 years ago (Hehehehehehe, well, probably more). I recognized him immediately as he entered through the door: Maestro! Good morning, would you be kind enough to sign my book….. yes, of course, what is your name young boy?….. You know what? I haven´t read any of your books yet but I surely will….. Say what? Where have you been? Death??..... Arrrrrgh!

The second time, I was working as an editor of a magazine at the Mexican National University while taking my major in Philosophy there. I saw him right after a great conference he gave: Sir! Good afternoon, would you be willing to sign my book….. yes, of course, what is your name young man?..... You know what? I am that “death” young boy to whom you signed a book once who had not read any of your books. Well, I have already done it, and I think they are great!..... Say what? Don´t remember, probably you were not death but plain crazy!!….. Arrrrrgh!

The third time, I was working as a director at a private University Language Centre. I saw Gabo at a major event held at the Royal Academy of Arts here in Mexico: Gabo! Good night, can you sign my book….. yes, of course, what is your name man?..... You know what? Do it to Fanny, please….. Fanny??? That is an interesting name for a man….. That is not my name! That is my girlfriend´s name….. And where is your girlfriend?..... At home!!!..... Hahahahaha! Mexican after all!!….. Arrrrrgh!

I don´t want to continue talking about it (Hehehehehe!). So, it would be good enough to conclude this post by saying that I subscribe any homage to his work today, 40 years later since the first appearance of what many consider the greatest novel in Spanish since “Don Quixote”.


GABO´S PROFILE

10 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never read any of his work. I guess I better get started. :-)

 
At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehehehehe! Well said!! my friend :)

ZHP

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger cosmicdust said...

hey, you are one lucky son of a gabo! hehe...

i read two of his books during my college days. '100 years of solitude' and 'love in the time of cholera'. great books!

er...remember me when you meet him next time *grin*

 
At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahahahahaha!!! That was super cool.. Thank you for your comment and of course I will..

Have an excellent day, my very good friend!! :)

ZHP

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Sreisaat said...

Hi ZHP.
OMG!!! Gabriel Garcia Marquez!!
How I wish I had my battered book (100 years of solitude) signed by him. I am green with envy with you because you have met him so many times already. Remember me, too, when you meet him again???? :D :D

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Darko said...

Who is that writer? I have never heard of him... is he any good? Garcia MArtinez? Mmmm I shall start reading something by him. I bet he must be fucking good if people in a country ;where poverty and slaughters, guerrillas, drug barons and paramilitary army fight each other; praise him and forget about his reality. I bet he must be fucking good. He could save that country I think, but he is too busy writing. Viva Garcia Martinez.

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zj:

Hello, my friend!! Thank you very much for dropping by and commenting. Well, the thing is that Gabo practically has lived in Mexico City half of his life. As a matter of fact he currently lives pretty near where I live. From my balcony, I can almost see him picking up the newspaper on his pajamas every morning!!! Heheheheeh... not really! Just kidding...

Have a great day, my friend!

ZHP

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darko, brother:

Sure, he is fucking good, man. I am telling you!! Hehehehehe! As for saving his country, I think that he has already contributed a great deal to save not just his countrymen but everyone else´s imagination and that is not a little thing...

Though I agree he could do more for the rest...

Cheers my man!

ZHP

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Silvia said...

Adoro "ojos de perro azul" es maravilloso y el Gabo es único

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Silvia: I think that I have just found another Gabo savvy: Super cool! Thanks for your comment mate..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home