Sunday, January 14, 2007

OPTIMISM


Yesterday night, I went out with a friend whom I had not seen in a long time. As if I were a salesman, I took advantage of the first opportunity to tell her about my blog and all: “Yes, I know you have a blog…” she said, “I´ve already seen it and…” “And what do you think?” I asked her without letting her finish the sentence. “The same stuff… “ . She replied, “your usual stuff: bad news, bad news and bad news!… Haven´t I told you that you are a complete pessimist?” She said smiling as she took a steadying sip from her beer.

At first, I thought that she was right, in the sense that given the current state of affairs here in Mexico, it is really difficult to be an optimist today:

Like Octavio Rodriguez Araujo, a prominent Mexican political analyst, recently stated, after the Coup D´Etat, Felipe Calderón has exercised political power having The Army as his business card: I cannot recall any other president wearing military uniform, standing tall, reminding those Latin American dictators from other times.

Even when this guy´s Napoleonic madness is a whole issue, all by itself, the real political issues are others: a big inequality of Wealth and Income Distribution, Health care and Education access, demographic concentration and social related problems of all kinds, etc. Statistics are there: 22 years of neo-liberal socioeconomic policies implementation accompanied with a make-believe democracy whose simulation was impossible to sustain in the last presidential elections.

On the other hand, opposition forces don´t help much: it seems that they cannot put aside their particular interests in order to consolidate the Anti neo-liberal Progressive Front, once and for all.

Yes, at first I thought my friend was right: the immediate political prospects are not good. However, as Gandhi once said:

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall –think of it, always”.

In our case, I guess, it´d be just a matter of finding different intelligent ways to help them fall!

2 Comments:

At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest-

No political change is going to be great *at* first...And yet those that made a difference-
Gandhi
Mandela
His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Martin Luther King Jr.

and so many others, knew and know that in order to reach a goal one must first *love* even your enemies...(For your enemies will then be made your footstools.)be optimistic when times look bleak and of course perseverance.... Stay the course....You may fall down, but in the end you will rise up, and your name will carry across the winds as one that believed and loved enough to see it all through...It will happen....I have faith in you...

callie

 
At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

usa attack on syria and iran, coming, http://www.geocities.com/ministryofdreams/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home