Sunday, December 17, 2006

TIME´S PERSON OF THE YEAR

Tonight, after a 1 1/2-minute reflection period, I have decided to definitely decline the award as TIME´S “Person of the year”. My reasons are:

1. I don´t think I control the Information Age as it is stated by the Time´s people. On the contrary, what I see is an alliance between the mass media major corporations and the political elite groups in power that have the real control over the information, especially of the most important issues.

2. It is true that the Internet now plays an important role in the communication field given, above all, by its democratic profile but its influence is still very limited. It would be just a matter of considering the number of people who have access to it and those who have not worldwide. Therefore it seems to be ideological to proclaim such idea of people´s power.

3. Finally, Internet´s best expressions are, in general, efforts to oppose corporate media (Time group included). Hence I find kind of ridiculous such a designation.

Therefore I think that this time I am going to pass... Shame on.. me, I guess: for a moment I felt I was a kind of a celebrity.

TIME


UPDATE:

This might be the main reason behind the Time´s designation:

4 Comments:

At 8:53 PM, Blogger Emily said...

hey from malaysia =)
www.nofussnomuss.blogspot.com

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Ms Elle said...

Interesting. I agree with many of your points.

They perhaps want a piece of Internet pie.

It almost always comes down to the Bottom Line of Profit.

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I read the Time article, the first thing I thought was "What a joke," considering that internet usage is limited to the developed world, and at best it's a bourgois toy. The impoverished masses don't care about publishing a blog or commenting on politics when they're struggling to survive, eh?

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, It is said that the Time People ignored precisely that "YOU" awarded who had selected Hugo Chávez as the person of the year in the Time´s own poll: business as usual!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home